Saturday, July 07, 2007

Edit: this now has a title.

I guess this post won´t be getting a title.

Alright, so here´s the scoop. I really have nothing interesting to write about...again. So I´m not going to waste your time or mine. But I WILL let you know a few things that are going on and I may in the meantime answer some questions you just might have. This week´s cultural topic is

NAPTIME

Kids take naps. Adults should not. But, in Spain, around 13:00 everything shuts down and people just go to sleep. It was originally something farmers did to stay out of the heat, but now, everyone does it. It´s as if Spanish people do as little work is as humanly possible but still somehow manage to live comfortably, of course, when you live in a town of 50 people, comfortable is not the same as if you lived in a real city. When the highlight of your town is the one bar that is open until noon and after 6, maybe you should consider moving.

In walking the Camino, I have taken on some Spanish characteristics. My hair is brown, I have dark eyes and I have a tan, but no, I am not at all Spainish. Yes, I am currently in Spain walking the Camino Santiago, but I don´t live anywhere. The reason I haven´t had the chance to write a post in more than a week and a half and was late on the last one by probably 4 days as well is because people in Spain apparently do not believe in internet. In fact, I have seen more fully functional computers in this country that are not connected to any kind of internet whatsoever than I even used to see before the internet existed at all in North America.

Spanish people from other regions say "this is the least developed part of spain". I sure hope so, because they still heard cattle with a big stick and loud yells.

People on the Camino like to be done walking before 3pm. This is fine, only when we walk 35km in the 35C heat, it would be nice to have a bed when we show up at the hostel 10 hours after starting. Lightweight newbies, that´s what we call them. But that´s also not the point. The point is, the only reason they want to get in so early is so that they can take a nap.

What if I´m Spanish and I´m thirsty at 3pm? Sorry, you have to wait for another hour or two. Hopefully you don´t die of thirst...which you wouldn´t if you just opened your stores all day long - not to mention worked more than 5.5 hours a day.

Maybe it´s a little unfair to say considering I haven´t worked in now over two months, but if I took a nap every time I got tired I´d still be in France, not 850km away. All this writing is making me tired, but that´s because it´s night time, and that´s where sleep belongs; at night, not in the middle of the day.

2 comments:

  1. wait till you get to the big cities in Spain and they nap all day too

    and Sundays are even worse because nothing is open ALL DAY long - i hope you haven't been hungry or thirsty on a sunday

    how's the trip going other than the abundance of afternoon sleeping going on in Spanish towns?

    WD

    ReplyDelete